The memorial pays tribute to Luther Hall, the first building constructed on campus when UMHB moved from Independence, Texas in 1886. Luther Hall was considered to be one of the finest academic buildings in Texas, until it burned down on January 26, 1929.
The memorial was constructed in 1955, from the stones of Luther Hall. It includes a bell tower with two historic bells. The Horton Bell, the lower bell in the tower, is from the University's first location in Independence. The upper bell, the sophomore bell, can only be rung by sophomores as a traditional privilege reserved for them.